Re: What are those .gitignore files doing in the CVS?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: What are those .gitignore files doing in the CVS?
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 07:31:40 +0900

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>>> I suspect it was just a mistake, but before I take them out, I'd rather
>>> make sure,
>> Eh, of course they're not a mistake (why a mistake?).
>
> Oh, I see we do have some .arch-inventory in our CVS, so I guess there's
> a precedent for it.  Still, since the Git repository is only sync'd one
> way (contrary to Arch's), I don't think the .gitignore files are needed
> in the CVS.
>
> So, again: what are they doing there?

I built an emacs from a git-cloned source-dir (using a separate
build-dir), and thereafter, "git status" thereafter started blathering
about stuff added to the source dir during the build (which probably
_shouldn't_ be added to the source dir, but that's unlikely to change
any time soon).

I do not want git status about those auto-generated files because it
interferes with status reports about things I intentionally changed.

Obviously any other people similarly using git to manage emacs locally
will have similar problems.  Thus, .gitignore files are wanted.  Git is
not some obscure system, and the read-only emacs git mirror is a useful
and popular tool.

[If some other emacs devs want .bzrignore or .svnignore or whatever
files, that seems fine to me...]

I'm not sure why you even asked .... isn't the above pretty obvious?

-Miles

--
Insurrection, n. An unsuccessful revolution.