Re: initial-frame-alist

From: mail
Subject: Re: initial-frame-alist
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 09:13:25 -0700

Stephen Berman <address@hidden> writes:
> It appears that setting initial-frame-alist has no effect if Emacs is
> started with --daemon; is this intended?  Here's a case in point:
>
> Let ~/.emacs consist of this sexp:
>
> (setq initial-frame-alist
>       (append initial-frame-alist '((width . 85) (height . 58))))
>
> Then do this:
>
> $ emacs --daemon
> $ emacsclient -c
>
> The resulting frame has default width and height, not those specified in
> ~/.emacs.  If instead I start Emacs like this:

[ SNIP ... ]

This seems like expected behaviour: there is no frame initially. Having
`emacsclient -c` work differently depending on whether or not it's the
first time it's been invoked seems wrong. If we do want to "fix" this
behaviour, then I suppose initial-frame-alist should apply to a frame in
any case where no other frame exists, ie:

  emacs --daemon
  emacsclient -c
  # initial-frame-alist applies
  emacsclient -c
  # initial-frame-alist does not apply
  # now close all of the emacs windows
  emacsclient -c
  # initial-frame-alist applies again

This behaviour should also happen if emacs was started by `emacs -nw` and
the server started there, for consistency. WDYT?