Re: Time zone problem in cygwin

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Time zone problem in cygwin
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 08:24:53 +0200

> Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 17:36:44 -0500
> From: Ken Brown <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> Breakpoint 1, synchronize_system_time_locale () at emacs.c:2429
> 2429      synchronize_locale (LC_TIME, &Vprevious_system_time_locale,
>
> I then repeatedly pressed 's' to step through the program, and I didn't
> see anything interesting, or anything different between emacs 22.3 and
> emacs 23, so finally I just pressed 'c' to continue.  At this point
> emacs displayed the result of the evaluation, and it gave the correct
> time!  I've rechecked this several times, and emacs 23 gives the right
> time when it's run under gdb (with or without a breakpoint), and the
> wrong time otherwise.  Do you have any idea what could be going on?

Sorry, I don't know enough about newlib (the standard C library used
by Cygwin) to tell.  Could you perhaps describe your observations,
including the one that setting TZ solves the problem even outside GDB,
on the Cygwin mailing list and ask the gurus there for advice or
hints?  A thorough description of how Cygwin handles Windows time
zones would probably also help.

Thank you for working on this.