Re: buffer-swap-text and multibyteness

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: buffer-swap-text and multibyteness
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 09:11:22 -0500

>> > Please edit this message after typing e
>> > (rmail-edit-current-message) and type C-c C-c.  The above
>> > line is changed to \300 (byte #xC0).

>> Have you tried the patch I sent (and which I re-appended below)?

> I've just tried the latest CVS code that has you patch.  It
> seems it works well in a usual case.   But, for instance,
> one edits a mail of:
> and inserts a non-latin-1 character, we must use the
> different encoding (utf-8 or the one selected by
> select-message-coding-system), and modify content-type:
> header.

Yes, the code doesn't try to handle these problems.  In my poiunt of
view, the way "edit" should work is that it should basically be put into
`message-mode' and then "saving" would simply encode the whole message
(as if preparing to send it).  To do that, we could/should use the code
we already have for Gnus.

        Stefan