Re: Recognize mbox files?

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Recognize mbox files?
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 08:36:28 +0100

   OTOH, the format of that From line is somewhat free, so we could
   arrange to place some kind of cookie in it (maybe even
   "-*-rmail-*-" could fit).

This sounds like a good solution as well.

   > What about assuming that rmail files always start witj "RMAIL" or
   > "XMAIL" (and ignore case-sensitivity)? Then RMAIL.foo would be a
   > RMAIL file, and xmail.123 would also be a rmail file.

   Yes, a naming convention seems easier.  a ".mbox" extension seems
   like an obvious choice as well.

I dislike this choice, we use the .mbox extention for spool files that
are nott put into the normal mail spool.  Having them open up using
rmail, and consequently get modified wouldn't be good.

   > That would work for most normal cases.  That way if you open
   > /com/mail/ams or some other mail spool file, RMAIL will not do
   > anything funny with it.

   It's important that if opened on a non-mbox file, Rmail shouldn't
   do anything bad (e.g. it shouldn't modify the file).

I do not think that mbox files should be opened using rmail either,
only files that have been explictly OKed by the user (modeline
{X,R}MAIL naming scheme, ...).