Re: view/edit large files

From: Richard M Stallman
Subject: Re: view/edit large files
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 15:02:01 -0500

    I didn't understand your suggestion fully initially, sorry.  I think
    you're suggesting that the user should pick a "window" between two
    places in the file.  Then the user can only edit the file between those
    two places.  That `grep' is producing the list of places is not as
    important as the idea of having those places.

Yes, that's it.  A further part of the idea is that the matching lines
that mark the beginning and the end of the segment would be read-only,
to prevent confusion in what it means to save the file back.