Re: Difference between syntax class `escape' and `charquote'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Difference between syntax class `escape' and `charquote'
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 20:51:06 -0500

> From isearching through src/syntax.c, it seems that the `escape' and
> `charquote' syntax class are interpreted synonymously.

Yes, they're synonymous, AFAIK.

> The documentation says

>      [A character quote character] differs from an escape character in
>      that only the character immediately following is ever affected.

> What is this supposed to mean? How can an escape character not affect
> the immediately following character?

I guess what it might have meant is that in \\" the " would still
be quoted?  I don't think the C code does that, tho, and I can't think
of a language where that would be the right behavior.
IIRC the last time I looked at that code, the C code treats both forms
of escape in the exact same way.

        Stefan