emacs ltstat,readlink on slow filesyste.

From: kenneth johansson
Subject: emacs ltstat,readlink on slow filesyste.
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 12:36:52 +0000 (UTC)

I'm using emacs to edit files on a sshfs filesystem but have a problem
whith emacs doing lstat and readlink for files that do not exist. And on a
slow network this creates interruptions to scrolling in emacs since the lstat
and readlink is taking so long to complete.

I have been trying to figure out what in emacs is doing this but have so
far failed to find a way around it.

to see what is happening do the following.

cd /tmp
num=0; while [ $num -lt 1000 ] ;do echo "line $num" ; num=$((num +1)) ; done
>test_file.c
strace -f -etrace=lstat,readlink  emacs -Q test_file.c

then just move around in the file and you should see the lstats and readlink
calls.

anyone know a way to configure emacs so this is not happening ???