Re: redisplay - very long lines

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: redisplay - very long lines
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 18:02:57 -0500

On 16 Feb 2009, at 14:27, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Would it be possible to add a termination condition in move_it_to to
stop after leaving the window vertically or horizontally (with
truncate-lines)?

If we can tolerate an incorrect display, maybe.  The invisible part of
the line could in principle include characters and faces whose
presence may have global effects on the rest of the displayed portion,
such as faces that use larger fonts, to say nothing of inline images.

Are such consequences wanted even if the line continues beyond the window vertically (i.e. truncate-lines == nil || word-wrap != nil)?

I can see why you might want to increase line height in case there is a high glyph or an inline image, but I could equally see the argument for displaying as many lines as possible and only increasing line heights when the user scrolls horizontally and the glyph is made visible.

If this redisplay issue is all that hinders users from editing such files (e.g., XML without newlines), fixing it would be a good idea IMHO. It seems to me that Emacs handles large files quite well otherwise - loading and search&replace were blazing fast when I tried it.

Also, note that the new word-wrap feature means that users will more often deal with long "lines".