Re: redisplay - very long lines

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: redisplay - very long lines
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 21:41:36 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: David Reitter <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 08:40:36 -0500
>
> >> I could equally see the argument for displaying as many lines as
> >> possible and only increasing line heights when the user scrolls
> >> horizontally and the glyph is made visible.
>
> > That'd be horrible, I think: display jumping back and forth as point
> > moves horizontally.
>
> This would only happen with truncated lines, not with wrapped
> lines, right?

If by ``wrapped lines'' you mean continuation lines, then (AFAIK) we
still need to walk to the end of a line before we are able to display
it and all the lines after it.  If by ``wrapped lines'' you mean
something else, perhaps that belongs to the recent features whose
effect on display engine I didn't yet have time to grasp, so I cannot
answer the question.

> [ Also, I'd much rather see occasional jumping than unbearably
>   slow display.  In many cases (e.g. unibyte fundamental-mode for binary
>   files), the likelihood of varying line height is pretty low. ]

[How come you are suddenly in favor of unibyte operations?]

FWIW, I think editing binary files other than via hexl is playing with
fire, anyway.  But that's me.