Re: redisplay - very long lines

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: redisplay - very long lines
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 16:21:48 -0500

On 17 Feb 2009, at 14:41, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
If by ``wrapped lines'' you mean continuation lines, then (AFAIK) we
still need to walk to the end of a line before we are able to display
it and all the lines after it.  If by ``wrapped lines'' you mean
something else, perhaps that belongs to the recent features whose
effect on display engine I didn't yet have time to grasp, so I cannot
answer the question.

I understood Stefan to refer to soft-wrapped (`word-wrap') lines, which necessitate the optimization we're talking about.

Displaying any lines "after it" would not be relevant, because we'd stop processing the line if the end of the portion of the buffer is reached that is shown in the window.

As for displaying the actual line (wrapped): can you give an example how the previous visual lines of a line are affected something that could come afterwards?
(I'm not doubting you, I just want to understand.)

[ Also, I'd much rather see occasional jumping than unbearably
slow display. In many cases (e.g. unibyte fundamental-mode for binary
 files), the likelihood of varying line height is pretty low. ]

[How come you are suddenly in favor of unibyte operations?]

FWIW, I think editing binary files other than via hexl is playing with
fire, anyway.  But that's me.

It is, but Emacs shouldn't slow down to the point where undoing the find-file operation is impossible. Also, I gave the example of XML files w/o newlines.