Re: Incorrect devanagari rendering on Linux

From: Richard M Stallman
Subject: Re: Incorrect devanagari rendering on Linux
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:10:49 -0500

     but on my x86-64
    Debian Linux box, it doesn't work correctly.

Please don't call it "Debian Linux".  You're talking about a version
of the GNU system, used with Linux as the kernel.  To call the whole
thing just "Linux" is to give the credit for our work to someone else
who started later and did less.  That's being unfair to us.

See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html and
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html, plus
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/the-gnu-project.html for historical background.

    The Linux rendering looks like

Linux doesn't do rendering.  That is not part of its job.

    The Linux build is built using the following libraries

This build has nothing to do with Linux either.
(Some of the libraries in it are developed by the GNU Project.)

    The win32 build works correctly on my windows xp machine

In hacker terminology, calling something a "win" is a form of praise.
If you wish to praise Microsoft Windows, you're free to do so; but if you
don't, then you might want to think twice about using the term "win32".