Re: attaching a file in dired mode

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: attaching a file in dired mode
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:41:50 +0900

> Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

>>> When I use  gnus-dired-attach while the cursor is on a
>>> file in dired buffer it results in
>>
>>>        Invalid function:   gnus-setup-message

> This is bug 1060.

> http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1060

>> + ;; Load the `gnus-setup-message' macro that `gnus-dired-attach' uses.
>> + (require 'gnus-msg)

> For me, this has the problem described in bug #1060:

> emacs -Q
> C-x d
> M-x turn-on-gnus-dired-mode

> just sits there showing the Gnus logo (though it does seem to work if
> one just kills the logo buffer).

> Oh, but I see you installed a different change. This has the other
> problem described in bug 1060:

> emacs -Q
> C-x d
> M-x turn-on-gnus-dired-mode
> mark file
> C-c C-m C-a

> void-variable gnus-article-reply

> Note one of the goals of FOR-RELEASE is to "minimize Gnus dependencies
> in gnus-dired.el" (see also the comments in gnus-dired: "These are
> used only if the user customizes `gnus-dired-mail-mode' to use Message
> and/or Gnus"). So it would be nice if gnus-dired did not
> unconditionally require other Gnus features.

Oops.  So, what I did was only having fixed the byte code that
was made so as to funcall a macro symbol.  I didn't think that
gnus-dired.el is used without launching Gnus.  But I may not be
wrong at least in `C-c C-m C-a' (gnus-dired-attach).  Why one
wishes to use `C-c C-m C-a' is that one wants to use one's Gnus
configuration for message sending, message archiving, etc.  So,
it is not unreasonable requirement that one has to run Gnus in
advance, is it?  How about making it stop with a warning like
"You must run Gnus first"?

OTOH, `report-emacs-bug', if `mail-user-agent' is set to
`gnus-user-agent', loads many Gnus modules, but doesn't necessarily
require running Gnus.  If `gnus-dired-attach' has to be improved
to get to be like it, it will take time.  I don't feel like doing
it very much, though.

For the other gnus-dired features, `gnus-dired-find-file-mailcap'
and `gnus-dired-print', they have no inevitability to be prefixed
with `gnus-', I think.

Regards,