Re: attaching a file in dired mode

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: attaching a file in dired mode
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 13:23:17 -0500

Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

> I didn't think that gnus-dired.el is used without launching Gnus.

I didn't follow the discussion, but I think rms wants gnus-dired to be
capable of (optionally) working without the rest of Gnus.

> But I may not be wrong at least in `C-c C-m C-a'
> (gnus-dired-attach). Why one wishes to use `C-c C-m C-a' is that one
> wants to use one's Gnus configuration for message sending, message
> archiving, etc. So, it is not unreasonable requirement that one has
> to run Gnus in advance, is it? How about making it stop with a
> warning like "You must run Gnus first"?

That's probably fine, if the message says something like:
"You must run Gnus, or customize `gnus-dired-mail-mode', first"

Or, how about something like changing the default value of
gnus-dired-mail-mode to something like:

(if (featurep 'gnus) 'gnus-user-agent
  'mail-user-agent)

(It's possible none of this makes sense, I'm not familiar with how
this works...)