Re: emacs silently ignores buffer file encoding?

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: emacs silently ignores buffer file encoding?
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 11:00:19 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

> In article <address@hidden>, Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
> > (1) Start emacs -Q
> > (2) Visit "/tmp/fff"
> > (3) Insert the following chars: "θϑΘ"
> > (4) Set the buffer file encoding to latin1 with: C-x C-m f latin-1 RET
> > (5) Save the buffer: C-x C-s

> > For me, "/tmp/fff" is saved sucessfully, with no error or prompt, using
> > an encoding of utf-8 -- despite my having explicitly requested latin-1.

> > This doesn't seem right...

> I agree.  I'll work on it if nobody else is working on it.

I've just installed these fixes:

2009-03-03  Kenichi Handa  <address@hidden>

        * files.el (basic-save-buffer-1): Set car part of
        buffer-file-coding-system-explicit.
        (revert-buffer): Check car part of
        buffer-file-coding-system-explicit.

        * international/mule-cmds.el (select-safe-coding-system): If cdr
        part of buffer-file-coding-system-explicit is set, ignore
        default-buffer-file-coding-system and the most preferred coding
        system.

        * international/mule.el (set-buffer-file-coding-system): Set cdr
        part of buffer-file-coding-system-explicit.
        (after-insert-file-set-coding): Set
        buffer-file-coding-system-explicit to a cons.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden