Re: completion buffer - unsuitable column width

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: completion buffer - unsuitable column width
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 10:47:56 -0500

On 3 Mar 2009, at 09:21, Stefan Monnier wrote:

A grep over the source, looking for (window-width), reveals other
suspicious uses.

No doubt.  This is just another instance of the long standing problem
that all/most of the code presumes fixed-width fonts (and of a single
width shared by all fonts) as was the case in Emacs<21.

I suspect that most developers here use a single mono-spaced font for most or all their editing... I started running the NS port of 23 for some regular editing now, and I've run into a number of bugs.

"window-buffer-width", giving the average (expected) number of columns in a window for text in the default face applicable to the buffer shown in
a given window.

Yes, that could help.

OK, what is the plan regarding this for 23.1? Do nothing, add a fairly safe workaround as I suggested, or try to implement window- buffer-width?

I don't think I can help implementing window-buffer-width in the available time; it takes someone who knows the (re)display code fairly well I think.