Re: *vc-diff* buffers are read-only, but M-k works

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: *vc-diff* buffers are read-only, but M-k works
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 10:41:46 -0500

David Reitter <address@hidden> wrote:

> M-k works just fine in read-only *vc-diff* buffers.
>
> However, undoing an M-k command is impossible, as is cutting, pasting,
> or all the other things that I did all the time in *vc-diff* buffers
> in Emacs 22.
>
> The M-k thing is a bug, the read-only (default?) setting is annoying.

The purpose of making the vc-diff buffer read-only (2007-11-10 change to
vc.el) was so that people can use the read-only diff-mode bindings like
"k" and "p".  However, it's counter-intuitive that undo does not work.
Probably the easiest fix is to define a diff-undo command that lifts the
read-only restriction temporarily.  Any thoughts?