Re: NS: ns-expand-space / slider in Preferences dialog not functional

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: NS: ns-expand-space / slider in Preferences dialog not functional
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 14:35:55 -0500

On 6 Mar 2009, at 14:20, Adrian Robert wrote:

This is no longer true -- running -q or -Q now ignores the plist -- though not X resources, I believe. The one difference between the NS defaults and X resources is that the defaults system is read/ write, whereas X resources are for some strange reason read-only by design. After various discussion here, I now believe this difference is fundamental, and that the NS defaults system should therefore be used in Emacs only internally for parameters that are specific to NS and not set by users. This includes reading existing system settings like anti-aliasing threshold, as well as storing previous directories and window locations for file open/save dialogs. Completely behind-the-scenes stuff.

Yes, I agree. It's great that there is now a way to access the NS defaults system.

I would advocate, however, to only use the NS prefs systems for variables that cannot be implemented with the customization system, i.e. stuff that needs to be initialized on startup, because user files are read.

I am not sure if it is appropriate to do this under pretest, however. It would be a user-visible change and potentially cause unexpected side effects.

Up to the maintainers to decide:
Is "user-visibility" the right criterion?  (Bug fixes are user-visible!)
Shouldn't it be "dangerous" vs. not, and "bug fixes" vs. "features", and "recent regressions" vs. not?