Re: NS: ns-expand-space / slider in Preferences dialog not functional

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: NS: ns-expand-space / slider in Preferences dialog not functional
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 16:15:38 -0700 (PDT)

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

  > > But now that the situation is what it is I stand by what I say above: it
  > > doesn't interfere with anything in core emacs (as it is / should be
  > > additive with line-spacing), users benefit from it, and others can use it
  > > to try and see whether it's something that would be worth having on X and
  > > W32.  There's no benefit to removing it.
  >
  > This would encourage the use of MacOSX to try the feature.  As long as
  > MacOSX is not Free Software, this goes against our goals.  Also I think
  > it's pretty clear that the `line-spacing' feature can be expanded to
  > cover the featureset of `ns-expand-space' and that it would be good
  > since it would remove a redundant setting, and bring that feature to
  > all architectures.
  >
  > So we should remove ns-expand-space right now.  If we can come up with
  > a clean enough patch to extend line-spacing's semantics, we might be
  > able to consider it for inclusion in Emacs-23.1, otherwise it'll have to
  > wait for Emacs-23.2.

How about similar features that are in the ns specific files, but should
be generic (if they should be included at all).

When the ns support was included, I sent a few messages with reviews,
and found quite a few such things.

The ones that  I remember right away are in nsfns.m

  /* FIXME: Because of the typo below, Qbuffered probably never did
     anything useful, so it might as well be removed. */
  Qbuffered = intern ("bufferd");
  staticpro (&Qbuffered);

??? Whis is this kept around?

  Qfontsize = intern ("fontsize");
  staticpro (&Qfontsize);

What about this one?

  DEFVAR_LISP ("ns-icon-type-alist", &Vns_icon_type_alist,
               doc: /* Alist of elements (REGEXP . IMAGE) for images of icons
associated to frames.
If the title of a frame matches REGEXP, then IMAGE.tiff is
selected as the image of the icon representing the frame when it's
miniaturized.  If an element is t, then Emacs tries to select an icon
based on the filetype of the visited file.

The images have to be installed in a folder called English.lproj in the
Emacs folder.  You have to restart Emacs after installing new icons.

Example: Install an icon Gnus.tiff and execute the following code

  (setq ns-icon-type-alist
        (append ns-icon-type-alist

When you miniaturize a Group, Summary or Article frame, Gnus.tiff will
be used as the image of the icon representing the frame.  */);
  Vns_icon_type_alist = Fcons (Qt, Qnil);

This definitely looks like it should be generic, or not included at all.

There are a few more in ns-win.el.  Like redefining the standard menu
structure, but there are more.