Re: Accepting and returning multiple values in 'cl

From: Dave Goel
Subject: Re: Accepting and returning multiple values in 'cl
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:25:20 -0400

> I'm not sure it's worth trying to develop the cl.el MRV stuff much
> unless it actually works like real CL MRVs:
>
>    (1) _efficient_, no consing
>
>    (2) seamlessly interoperable with SRVs (e.g., non-MRV-aware callers
>        can just pretend a MRV function returns a single value, with no
>        effort on their part)

Miles, In response to these points: after further thinking, I have
added a section on pros and cons at the beginning, and a new test
example of the gotchas at the end.  It seems that no modification to
any SR oerations is needed, so point 2 is takesn care of.  No
efficiency is lost at all for the usual SR stuff eiter.

When I asked to ignore my post, I had worried that the implementation
suffered from a flaw, but with a simple convention that m-v users can
follow, this can be overcome, and is much better than trying to modify
all SR functions.  This way of m-v handling seems preferable to me
than the (list) way of doing things.

Attaching the new file.

;;; cl-multiple.el ---  Handle multiple return values in emacs.
;;
;; Time-stamp: <2009-03-12 12:23:07 deego>
;; Copyright (C) 2009 Dave Goel
;; Emacs Lisp Archive entry
;; Filename: cl-multiple.el
;; Package: cl-multiple