Re: Feature request: dired-open-marked-files

From: Richard M Stallman
Subject: Re: Feature request: dired-open-marked-files
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 05:42:16 -0400

    Dunno what's so controversial. I've always wondered, on the contrary, why
the
    Dired X features are not loaded and made available by default.

Because then people would expect them to be in the Emacs Manual.

The original reason I set up dired-x.el was that there was a person
who wanted to write a lot of Dired extensions.  I did not think they
should all be standardly loaded, so I told him he could put any
features he liked into dired-x.el.

In any case, I see no reason not to move the F command to ordinary
dired.

By the way, the reason for the separation between dired.el and
dired-aux.el was to keep Emacs small, back in 1985 or so.
That reason is obsolete nowadays.