Re: address@hidden: Re: redisplay]

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: redisplay]
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:13:02 -0400

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <address@hidden> writes:

> I tried it myself with Ubuntu 8.10, GTK+ (as I could not reproduce the
> redraw-failure with X11 on Mac OS X, Xaw).  It sometimes failed in
> redrawing with each of three Fredisplay call positions, including the
> original one.  So I think this is a separate issue.

The failure seems to happen more often with the earlier Fredisplay call
position.  This is not surprising: the Fredisplay call is an attempt to
update the display of the frames, which depends on X server timings that
Emacs cannot affect directly.  Since the goal is to perform the update
just before opening the dialog, calling Fredisplay earlier makes this
hack less reliable.

Your analysis, however, makes it clear that this hack is problematic.
However, I don't see any good solution right now.  So, please go ahead
and move the Fredisplay call to an earlier, safe position.