Re: paths are sensative to double separators

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: paths are sensative to double separators
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 13:16:14 +0200

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 19:50:37 -0700, xah lee <address@hidden> wrote:
> in unix-like OSes, double slash is effectively taken to mean root.
> e.g. /foo/bar//baz.el would mean /baz.el
> This convention is somewhat rooted in unixes.

Not really, no:

  address@hidden:/home/keramida$ cd /etc//security
  address@hidden:/etc/security$ pwd
  /etc/security

Having said that, I see that a double slash in find-file's prompt starts
over from the filesystem root.  That's slightly annoying when trying to
open a filename with double slashes, but it's also helpful when one
really *wants* to start over from the root of the filesystem :/