Re: paths are sensative to double separators

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: paths are sensative to double separators
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 17:33:35 +0200

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 23:20:04 +0900, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
wrote:
>Giorgos Keramidas writes:
>> Having said that, I see that a double slash in find-file's prompt starts
>> over from the filesystem root.  That's slightly annoying when trying to
>> open a filename with double slashes,
>
> Which is rather uncommon and has an obvious, Emacs-wide solution: C-q /.

Unfortunately, quoting either slash of the double slash parts in
something like `C-x C-f /etc//foo' still restarts the search from the
filesystem root here, in GNU Emacs 23.0.91.1 (i386-unknown-freebsd8.0,
GTK+ Version 2.14.7) of 2009-03-14.

I think if `C-x C-f /etc/ C-q / foo' really passed "/etc//foo" as the
file path name to the find-file function, it might be a nice change that
doesn't feel too surprising to someone who relies on the current behavior.

>> but it's also helpful when one really *wants* to start over from
>> the root of the filesystem :/
>
> Which is much more common and deserves a one-keystroke solution.

Certainly :)