Re: paths are sensative to double separators

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: paths are sensative to double separators
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 08:57:45 -0400

> I can't imagine anyone relies on having Emacs deliberately disobey
> "/foo/" C-q "/" and convert it to "/".

C-q / doesn't say "mark this slash as a special slash that shouldn't
be magical.  It only says "don't use the command bound to slash, but
instead just insert a slash char".

The "/foo// -> /" conversion is done much later (as can be seen since
hitting DEL after having hit / gets you back to /foo/).

> N.B.  This matters if you want to use URLs, because not only do you

find-file does not work for URLs unless you enable url-handler-mode.
If you enable url-handler-mode, then "file:///foo" will not be converted
to "/foo".  I.e. I think it works correctly, including for URLs.

        Stefan