Re: remove leim/leim-list.el for make bootstrap?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: remove leim/leim-list.el for make bootstrap?
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 17:20:34 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 09:15:58 -0400
>
> >> What am I missing?
> > Looks like some bug in `insert', which happens when the buffer from
> > which the quail-define-package form was read is in iso-2022-7bit and
> > the buffer into which the text is inserted is also iso-2022-7bit:
> > could it be that the inserted text is not decoded into the internal
> > representation, so that encoding it in utf-8 still leaves behind
> > ISO-2022 escapes?
>
> Indeed, the problem I saw was that the generated file was marked as
> "utf-8" but contained iso-2022 encoded text

Actually, I think it was the other way around: the generated file had
the iso-2022-7bit coding tag, but included a UTF-8 encoded text from
leim-ext.el.

> But `insert' doesn't decode/encode.

I don't have any real evidence, I was just desperate to provide some
explanation.  I think Andreas found the _real_ reason: a stale
quail.elc.  Although, since Miles said even a bootstrap didn't help,
perhaps there's something else at work here.

Btw, since we remove leim-list.el before updating it, why does
quail-update-leim-list-file works so hard to remove some parts of it,
identify garbled lines, etc.?  Isn't all that just a waste of cycles?