Re: emacs --daemon and GDK default display

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: emacs --daemon and GDK default display
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 22:33:38 +0100

> If I remember correctly, the display manager does not set a new
> default display when the old is closed. There is some code for that
> case i gtkutil.c.

> But there was a bug in it. I don't know if that fixes anything, but
> please try again.

This wouldn't help, since the segmentation fault already happens in
gdk_display_open, so it doesn't reach the code affected by your
change of today.

> Note that closing displays under Gtk+ is generally buggy in itself.
> If you can capture a stack trace in the debugger

A GDB backtrace is attached to our downstream bug at
<http://bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=185188>. Unfortunately,
without symbols in Emacs. ;-) But I think that there's enough
information to see what is going on.

> we should be able to tell if it is Gtk+ or Emacs that is doing the
> wrong thing.

There's definitely a problem in libcanberra which fails to check for a
null pointer (already reported to its upstream).

The question is if Emacs could do anything to work around the problem?
I suppose you can't set a default display before calling
gdk_display_open?

Ulrich