Changing the MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 used by emacs --server

From: Sascha Wilde
Subject: Changing the MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 used by emacs --server
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 12:06:22 +0100

Hi *,

The problem in short:

- start an X11 server with -auth
  (which is what most display-managers or startx do nowadays)
- start `emacs --server'
=> `emacsclient -c' can create a new X11-frame
- quit the X11 server (but leave the emacs server)
- start a new X11 server with -auth
=> `emacsclient -c' can't create a new frame anymore

I guess the problem is due to the changed authorization information
(cookie).  Is there a way to tell the emacs server to use new
authorization data for a given display?

I made a naive attempt by
(setenv "XAUTHORITY" "/path/to/new/xauth-file")
but this didn't work...

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde
We're Germans and we use Unix. That's a combination of two