Re: inter-client cut/copy paste & Small Caps

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: inter-client cut/copy paste & Small Caps
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 08:01:13 +0900

MON KEY <address@hidden> writes:
> Ignoring WYSIWYG editors (and their clipboard handling) this doesn't
> change that utilization of Small Caps on the web is quite prevalent -
> in many use cases the Small Caps  convey syntax. Simply discarding
> this information is prob. not the best way to promote vigorous
> utilization of 'The One True Editor'. It is worth noting that  Emacs
> handles APL char data from the clipboard in a reasonable way. Is one
> to assume that the relatively infrequently encountered APL syntax is
> considered too significant to discard but it is OK for Small Caps to
> be lossy?

The "APL char data" is preserved because it's already "character level"
information, whereas the small caps info is higher-level formatting
info ("metadata").  They are very different things.

Because of that, there's precious little emacs could _do_ with higher
level formatting data, even if it preserved it -- you can't just insert
such formatted text into a plain text document and expect useful
results...

[I think in the vast majority of cases, small caps are used only for
presentation purposes anyway.]

-Miles

--
Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without
individual responsibility.