Re: Printing

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Printing
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 06:14:59 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 20:52:33 -0400
>
> > I hope you are not saying that ps-print machinery is the only way
> > Emacs will be able to print in the future, i.e. rely on PostScript
> > support of the OS infrastructure.
>
> Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Then, if history teaches us anything, we will probably having this
discussion 10 years from now as well.

> > Because if you do, the history of that until today should tell us this
> > is not necessarily a good idea.
>
> What other way to print are you thinking of?

The way every modern platform does that: through a printer API,
whereby you select fonts and layout, then render text to some device,
and the text gets printed to the printer you select.  Since Emacs
already knows how to render text, it shouldn't be too hard to teach it
do so to something other than a screen.