Re: Printing

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Printing
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 18:39:24 +0900

>>> b) Use standard GTK+ printing facilities as GEdit and many other
>>> applications do. Emacs is built with GTK+ interface for quite some
>>> time now, so I suppose there should be no architectural problem in
>>> using GTK+ for printing as well. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>>>

>> The problem is that Gtk+ printing assumes you are rendering with
>> cairo.  Emacs does not do that.  Changing that would be a major
>> undertaking.  Something like porting Emacs to a totally new
>> toolkit.

> FWIW, several ports for Mac OS X are using Quartz 2D that can
> generate PDF as in Cairo.  So creating a "resolution-independent
> screenshot" is immediate especially with Cocoa.  Of course, it is
> still not sufficient for general printing.

I tried making a really preliminary proof-of-concept cairo port. :-)
It's still rough and has several glitches/limitations, but at least it
can generate a "resolution-independent screenshot" PDF as attached.
Maybe I'll clean up the code this weekend and hopefully post a patch.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden