Re: normalize.el

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: normalize.el
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 20:54:35 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
> > The attached is an Unicode normalization tool contributed by
> > Kawabata-san.  It performs all the Unicode normalization
> > NFC/NFD/NFKD/NFKC, and provides a coding system utf-8-hfs
> > that is suitable to be used for Mac OS 8.1's file names.
> >

> > ;;; normalize.el --- Unicode normalization NFC/NFD/NFKD/NFKC
> >

> Handa-san,

> I have no opinion on the functionality of this package - or
> whether it should go in now or later - but I think the name
> of the package is way too generic - "normalize" reallly says
> nothing at all - and can mean 1000 things to different people
> and in different contexts.

Ah, good point.

> So maybe something like

> utf-8-hfs.el
> hfs-normalize.el
> utf-normalize.el

As the Unicode normalization is for character sequence, not for
UTF (transformaiton format), I think something like these
are better:

ucs-normalize.el
uni-normalize.el  (but it's confusing with the other uni-*.el files)

Kawabata-san, what do you think?

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden