Re: Printing

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Printing
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 16:24:41 +0200

Samuel Bronson <address@hidden> writes:

>>> is it really significantly easier to install support for printing PDF
>>> than support for printing Postscript (in Windows)?
>>
>> AFAIK, restricting ourselves to Free software, no.
>
> If we were doing that, we wouldn't be in that mess in the first place
> -- we'd not be using Windows!

IIRC, it is a policy of the FSF to discourage using propietary software
for any purpose, even less to require it for adding capabilities to a
Free software package.

> Installing Adobe Reader is surely easier than figuring out how to get
> ghostscript set up on windows, no?

Driving Adobe Reader from an external application (or from the command
line) for printing is tricky: it relies on undocumented features that
changes with each version. OTOH, starting it for document viewing is
easy (although sometimes refuses to work). For printing purposes,
waiting for the pdf reader to start, then printing from it, is an
annoyance if you need to print often.

--
Oscar