Re: Printing

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Printing
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 12:15:23 -0400

>>> Writing a pdf-file would of course allow printing on w32 more simple
>>> too - if you install some software to read and print pdf.
>> Considering that I'd rather not encourage people to install proprietary
>> software, is it really significantly easier to install support for
>> printing PDF than support for printing Postscript (in Windows)?
> Yes, I think so since most people already have a viewer for PDF
> installed. And that viewer can be used to print.

AFAIK, Windows comes neither with a Postscript viewer/printer nor with
a PDF viewer/printer.  So for ps-print.el we have to ask people to
install Ghostscript on such systems.  Assuming we had pdf-print.el,
which other software would we tell people to install?  As mentioned
non-proprietary options are unacceptable.

This said, maybe ps-print.el could be changed so it can run `gs'
directly (under Windows); this would mean that the user only needs to
install Ghostscript without configuring something like redmon and
creating a special postscript virtual printer.

        Stefan