Re: vc-dir with Subversion

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: vc-dir with Subversion
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 12:18:31 +1300

Chong Yidong writes:
 > address@hidden (Nick Roberts) writes:
 >
 > > Using Subversion, vc-dir detects conflicts of two kinds:
 > >
 > > 1) Prior to updating.
 > > 2) After updating.
 > >
 > > but labels the status with the keyword `conflict' in both cases.  In the
 > > latter case all other keywords use the past tense: removed, edited,
 > > unregistered etc.  To avoid confusion I suggest that we use the keyword
 > > `conflicted' for this case.
 >
 > Is there any practical reason for the user to be able to distinguish
 > between the two states?

If you see the file is marked with `conflict' and visit the file, sometimes
there are conflict markers present and sometimes there aren't.  I think it's
confusing to mark to different states with the same keyword.

Is there any practical reason for the user *not* to be able to distinguish
between the two states?