Re: How to debug "!MEM FULL!" (Windows, emacs-23.0.92-bin-i386)?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to debug "!MEM FULL!" (Windows, emacs-23.0.92-bin-i386)?
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 14:51:07 +0300

> From: Reiner Steib <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 12:42:24 +0200
>
> with the latest precompiled pretest version for Windows
> (http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/emacs-23.0.92-bin-i386.zip),
> I got "!MEM FULL!" after doing some VC / PCL-CVS commands (viewing the
> revision log, diffs, ...) on rather big files.  The repository is on a
> network share, i.e. no pserver, ssh, ... involved.
>
> I'll do a proper M-x report-emacs-bug RET when back on this machine
> next week, but I doubt that anyone can help unless I provide more
> information.  So my question is: what kind of information is required
> to debug "!MEM FULL!" messages?

"!MEM FULL!" is displayed when malloc returns NULL, meaning there's no
more memory available to Emacs on the system.

So the first thing to report is probably memory-related information,
starting with what the Task Manager or Process Explorer report about
the memory used up by Emacs vs what's available on that system.

The information reported by Sysinternals' VMMap would probably also be
of value.

TIA