Re: mode-line-format - local variableness

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: mode-line-format - local variableness
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 09:50:43 +0900

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:
> Don't `let'-bind `mode-line-format', but you can `let'-bind something to its
> value and then restore that later. Ugh!

The issue is that things like buffer-local variables are (useful but)
weird, and there's a certain amount of hair involved in their
implementation.  They work pretty well when used as intended, but beyond
that, all bets are off.

[BTW, if you're gonna use setq, you should of course use unwind-protect.]

-Miles

--
I'm beginning to think that life is just one long Yoko Ono album; no rhyme
or reason, just a lot of incoherent shrieks and then it's over.  --Ian Wolff