Re: Reopen bug 535: Problem with highlit regions on Linux virtual termin

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Reopen bug 535: Problem with highlit regions on Linux virtual terminal
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 10:12:54 +0900

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:
>     C-M-h
>
> to mark the function.  Note again the quality of the display (low :-().
> We have uniform pale grey text on a bright blue background, and the sole
> remaining vestige of the font locking is that font-lock-keyword-face
> (and one or two others) are in bold white rather than pale grey.

I beg to differ -- it looks great to me (high-contrast, readable, usable).
[not just on the linux console, either, but in every environment I tried
it in -- X, xterm, gnome-terminal, light-background, black-background]

You seem to be right that it's suppressing most of the font-locking in
the highlighted area.  I don't know exactly why it does so (whether this
is intentional behavior or an artifact of the implementation), but it's
not at all clear to me that this behavior is a bad thing -- region
highlighting is generally temporary, and the text would very likely be
_less_ readable if the font-locking was preserved (because the font-lock
colors are designed to be readable with the standard background, and
would in many cases be quite awful against the highlighted background).

-Miles

--
Conservative, n. A statesman enamored of existing evils, as opposed to a
Liberal, who wants to replace them with new ones.