Why does vc want to revert my buffer?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Why does vc want to revert my buffer?
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 14:01:03 +0200

Hi all,

I started to use vc (via the nice vc-dir UI) instead of the cmd line
version control commands, and basically I really like it.  But sometimes
it makes me a bit nervous, too.

Today I edited some TeX sources in a SVN repository.  I was the only one
making changes to the files.  Before committing my changes I did a `+'
on the top-level dir [1].  Here I've made two observations:

   - Files I've committed the last time re-appear as "up-to-date" even
     though I've banished them before with `x'.  (This is no real
     problem, but IMO `x' should mean "hide up-to-date files till
     anything happens to them, i.e. I edited them locally or new
     revisions from the repo arrived".

   - For files I've edited locally (and nobody touched them in between)
     I'm queried if I want to revert their buffers.  This made me feel a
     bit nervous.  I answered yes, and it seems that after reverting I
     have the same contents as before.  But why does it ask me to
     revert?  No changes had to been merged...

One thing I'd like to have when being queried to revert a buffer is the
possibility to view a diff between the current buffer contents and the
file.  Currently, there's nothing that helps me to make this decision.

Bye,
Tassilo
[1] Ok, after reading the docs I think `v' had done the same before
    committing anyway.