Re: GSoC: collaborative editing

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: GSoC: collaborative editing
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 11:08:16 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Michael Albinus <address@hidden> writes:
>> The major advantage was usage of D-Bus for communication. This means,
>> that no addition to the core of those editors are necessary. The obvious
>> disadavantage is, that it doesn't run on systems which do not speak
>> D-Bus.
>
> Is there something unique about dbus that made it a hard dependency?
> (instead of using dbus for one implementation of a more abstract
> transport/rendezvous interface of some sort)

Alban's protocol is based on D-Bus messages. That's why I've used it.

D-Bus has the advantage, that many applications under GNU/Linux (and
also BSD, and also OS X) are prepared for this meanwhile. The plugins
for gedit and gvim, written by Alban, are very straightforward.

If there would be a more general interface for collaborative editing,
one could apply D-Bus messages as one implementation of such an interface.

> -Miles

Best regards, Michael.