Re: GSoC: collaborative editing

From: Richard M Stallman
Subject: Re: GSoC: collaborative editing
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 17:14:41 -0400

    Basically what you're saying is "OK, let's impose an arbitrary total
    ordering on the changes."  Indeed that makes writing the collaborative
    tool easier, but it also undermines collaboration by giving priority
    to getting there *first* rather than doing it *better*.

With all due respect, I think that is a misunderstanding of the issue.
We are talking about editing conflicts on timescales of a few seconds.
If two people are trying to edit the same part of the text at the same
time, they are stepping on each other's feet.  Which one does the
stepping "better" is hardly an issue.