Tramp problems connecting to OpenBSD over SSH

From: Taylor Venable
Subject: Tramp problems connecting to OpenBSD over SSH
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 16:19:45 -0400

I'm having some trouble connecting to my OpenBSD machines using Tramp.
Entering this path: "/real.metasyntax.net:/home" and trying to
generate completions I get these error messages:

Tramp: Opening connection for real.metasyntax.net using scp...
Tramp: Waiting 60s for local shell to come up...
Tramp: Sending command `ssh real.metasyntax.net   -q -e none && exit || exit'
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
Tramp: Sending password
Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on `real.metasyntax.net'
File error: Couldn't find exit status of `echo \"`uname -sr`\"'
File error: Couldn't find exit status of `/bin/ls -lnd /' [5 times]
completion--some: Couldn't find exit status of `echo \"`uname -sr`\"'

If I then keep pressing tab I get these:

File error: tramp-handle-file-name-all-completions: Couldn't `cd
/tmp/\"OpenBSD\ 4.5\"/' [2 times]
completion--some: tramp-handle-file-name-all-completions: Couldn't `cd
/tmp/\"OpenBSD\ 4.5\"/'

FWIW this is over a connection authenticated via public key.  I've
verified the commands shown work:

 772 [ taylor @ zeltennia ] : ~ > echo `uname -sr`
OpenBSD 4.5
 773 [ taylor @ zeltennia ] : ~ > /bin/ls -lnd /
drwxr-xr-x  17 0  0  512 Feb 21 15:49 /

Any ideas what could be happening here?  It works when connecting to
an Ubuntu machine, but not when connecting to my OpenBSD system at
home.  Could it perhaps be a difference in expected behaviour between
the GNU utilities and the BSD utilities?

Thanks for any hints,

--
Taylor Christopher Venable
http://real.metasyntax.net:2357/