Re: Low redisplay performance (23 regression)

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Low redisplay performance (23 regression)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 14:26:51 -0400

On Apr 22, 2009, at 12:28 PM, Chong Yidong wrote:
So, the slowdown may be related to displaying multiple faces?  I have
not experienced anything like this, myself.  If you do M-x
list-faces-display and scroll through that buffer, is there a slowdown?

Yes, definitely, but if and only if face-remapping-alist is enabled (remapping the default face). With the tabbar enabled, scrolling down that buffer takes about twice as long, depending on how many tabs I show.
Without the tabbar, I estimate the slowdown is about 20-30%.

It's possible that tabbar is doing something with its face computation
that is much more expensive on Emacs 23 than on Emacs 22; I don't have
time to look at its code, however.

As above, it's not just the tabbar; doing something relatively simple with face-remapping-alist already shows the effect.

I've been working on coming up with a reproducible standalone example. Perhaps, if the others who can reproduce, could attempt the same, we'd get somewhere.