Emacs and the Google Summer of Code

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Emacs and the Google Summer of Code
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 19:15:44 +1200

I'm pleased to say that "Emacs GDB/MI migration" was accepted as a Google
Summer of Code student project throuh the GNU Project.  So I would like to
welcome Dmitry Dzhus to this list as the student of that project.  I will be
acting as his mentor but I am sure that he will be able to get support from
everyone here too.

As I stated in January, I would like the resulting code would replace gdb-ui.el
after the release of Emacs 23.1.  Is there any estimate for the release date?
It would be best to commit changes to the repository, so if the release is
expected to be after the coding start date of the project (May 23) then it
would be helpful to cut a new branch where new features for Emacs could go.  I
know that RMS does not like this idea, as he thinks that all focus will shift
to the new branch, but I'm not sure if that's true and there are drawbacks
in not having one.  Debian seem to manage with both a testing and unstable
distribution.

If that's not possible, changes will have to go to Tom Tromey's Emacs Lisp
Archive, where the existing mode (gdb-mi.el, modified gud.el) resides, but the
feedback from there, so far, has been nil.

GNU Project's accepted proposals:
http://socghop.appspot.com/org/home/google/gsoc2009/karlberry

Student Project Emacs GDB/MI migration:
http://socghop.appspot.com/student_project/show/google/gsoc2009/karlberry/t124022551883