Re: Interactive hat. (Patch V2)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Interactive hat. (Patch V2)
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 21:39:48 +0300

> Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 11:46:20 +0000
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>   Karl Berry <address@hidden>
> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
>
> > That's an unusual use of @itemx.  Beware: it could do something you
> > didn't intend in some future version of Texinfo.
>
> I don't think so; at least, not if makeinfo does what its manual says.
> @itemx is defined to be identical to @item, except for not inserting a
> blank line.  (See page "itemx" in the manual).

That's not what I meant.  I meant that you in effect have here @item's
without the text after them.  A @table is not supposed to be like
that, so who knows what will the output be?  In particular, HTML and
XML outputs may assume there always be some text, and if not, fail to
properly close the markup.

> > This @verbatim is not enough, I think: the typeface used by this
> > example will be different from every other example in the manual,
> > right?  You need to force the same typeface as in @example, somehow.
>
> > Btw, why didn't @example fit the bill?
>
> Because @example inserts silly whitespace, of which there is already too
> much.

It indents to the current indent (e.g., if you are in a @table), and
then a couple more columns.  I never found that annoying, let alone
silly.

> I've now joined that body of hackers who hold Texinfo to be
> unsuitable for writing manuals in, though it's still much better
> than most of the competition.

It's like democracy: the worst possible regime, except for all the
others.

Seriously, though: I have been writing Texinfo manuals and documents
for at least 15 years now, and I find it very convenient and the
results very nice.  Quite a few people asked me how I manage to
produce such nice-looking documents in Word ;-)

> Don't worry, I'll get over it.

Yes, please do.