RE: make ctrl-+ increase font size?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: make ctrl-+ increase font size?
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 08:08:13 -0700

> Ctrl-+ seems unused right now.  Can we make it a short-cut for
> increasing the font size? Ctrl-+ is used to increase the font
> size in many GNOME applications (and other applications too)
> so it would be nice to be consistent here.
>
> Ctrl-- is already taken, but maybe it isn't that important?

I, for one, would be against it. Let's keep that key for users.

It's easy enough for any user to bind `C-+' to whatever command s?he wants,
including one that increases the font size. (Of course, you need a command that
does that. ;-))

[I bind `C-+', for example, to a command that toggles showing crosshair
highlighting at point. And I bind a command that increases the font size to
`C-wheel-up' (and to `S-mouse-1', except in some modes).]

And yes, `C--' is very important. Many commands provide alternative behavior
when you use a negative prefix arg, and `C--' is useful for that. Just `C--'
alone (no following digits) is the quickest way to reverse the behavior of many
commands that simply test the sign of the prefix arg.