Re: Low redisplay performance (23 regression)

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Low redisplay performance (23 regression)
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 13:49:26 -0400

On Apr 29, 2009, at 1:40 PM, Tassilo Horn wrote:

And on yet another related note, today I've found out that after
changing the font scale for the current buffer using `C-x C-+' or `C-x
C--' line-by-line scrolling slows down considerably.

As said earlier, I found that using face-remapping is highly correlated with this slow-down.

Oh, yet another observation: While writing this mail I enlarged the text
scale with `C-x C-+' and if I press and hold the up or down key, point
hangs for very short periods of time at some positions and then jumps
over some lines without visible redisplay, even though no scrolling at
all is done.

I see the same thing.  Did you (setq redisplay-dont-pause t) ?
Either way, it suggests that drawing takes much longer with a change of faces. (E.g., M-x list-faces-display ?)