Re: M-x compile and window splitting

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: M-x compile and window splitting
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 11:36:50 +0200

Frank Schmitt <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Frank,

>>> In Emacs 23, the window is split vertically instead of horizontally
>>
>> No, it's split horizontally instead of vertically in Emacs speach,
>> see `C-h k C-x 3'.
>
> Rather un-intuitive IMO but however.

Well, yes.  I remember it by asking myself how the two windows are
positioned to each other after the split has been done.

>>> - the change doesn't seem to be mentioned in NEWS (at least I couldn't
>>>   find it)
>>
>> ,----[ /usr/share/emacs/23.0.92/etc/NEWS ]
>> | *** New value nil for split-height-threshold inhibits vertical splitting
>> | unless there's no other window.
>> |
>> | +++
>> | *** New option split-width-threshold controls horizontal splitting.
>> |
>> | +++
>> | *** A window can be split horizontally even when it's not full-width.
>> |
>> | +++
>> | *** New option split-window-preferred-function can be set to a function
>> | to override the default splitting mechanism of display-buffer.
>> `----
>
> I don't think those lines are very helpful for users without deeper
> knowledge of this area in Emacs. At least I don't understand a word of
> those lines.

If you don't understand it after reading the docstrings of all those
four vars, I'd say it might qualify as a documentation bug.

> It is not clear what influences the decision whether to split
> horizontally or vertically.

With `split-window-preferred-function' set to nil (the default) it seems
to prefer horizontal over vertical splitting (which is sensible), but
it's not documented in this var's docstring, nor in `display-buffer'.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
          "Emacs is not a development tool but a way of life."
                - David Kastrup in alt.religion.emacs -