Re: Emacs on GNUstep (was: Release update)

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Emacs on GNUstep (was: Release update)
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 17:47:01 +0900

>> I just tried copying ObjC-related information in the .data section
>> not from the dumping process but from the original temacs file so
>> as to avoid some confusion during the startup time of the dumped
>> executable.

> Thank you very much!  This looks like a much simpler and more
> straightforward approach than trying to duplicate the whole logic
> using NSZone functions.

Perhaps the latter wouldn't help the GNUstep dumping problem because
the use of zones on unexmacosx.c is primarily for the problem that the
dumped heap area cannot be used as an ordinary heap in the dumped
executable, IIUC.  The crucial difference would rather be how
ObjC-related data is located in the executable: Mac OS X uses a
dedicated segment, but GNU/Linux uses the .data section that also
contains other read-write data.

>> It seems to work for me at least on GNU/Linux (Ubuntu 9.04).

> I confirm it works fine on gNewSense DeltaH (with fairly old
> GCC/GNUstep versions) and Debian GNU/kFreeBSD.

Thanks for testing.

> What a relief, I bet this fixes a lot of issues in the GNUstep port.

I hope so.  But it is quite unstable in my environment regardless of
dumping.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden