Re: Emacs on GNUstep

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs on GNUstep
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 09:45:40 -0400

> We can't simply remove CANNOT_DUMP because dumping requires unexelf.c
> currently.  The macro __ELF__ cannot be used here because it doesn't
> necessarily imply the use of unexelf.c (e.g., Solaris 10).

I think it's OK to say that the GNUStep port currently only "works" with
ELF systems.  In any case, experience has shown that CANNOT_DUMP doesn't
really work, so if people want to use GNUStep under Solaris, they're
just going to have to debug the corresponding dump process.  In this
context, it's worthwhile to keep/put the "#ifdef NS_IMPL_GNUSTEP" in
unexelf.c as a document that can be useful for hackers trying to make it
work on other unex*.c.

        Stefan